About this blog

Daily photos and short posts from my 8th grade math classroom. I teach 8th grade math, Algebra I CC (called Advanced Algebra), and French 1.

Friday, October 4, 2013

Day 28- Linear Programming

I'm trying to talk less this year.  Lead less, even.  Coach more. 

Today, we spent an hour working in teams on 2 to 3 linear programming word problems.  I really enjoyed listening to the conversations that groups had and I tried to be as unhelpful as possible to make the students rely on themselves.  They did a very good job at this.  One question came up often at the beginning of their work time, but once they made it past that stumbling block, they rolled through the remaining steps and problems successfully.  As with any other year, the hardest part of linear programming for students is taking the words and translating them into inequalities. 

I used my stoplight cups today for groups to signal when they needed help and they were pretty well-received.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment